class loader

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Mon Apr 2 14:39:00 GMT 2001

PR 2428 (which you can't see right now due to a gnats problem)
basically says that Class.getClassLoader() should never return null.
I talked a bit with the person who reported the bug.

The argument is: `null' is correct as far as the docs go, but some
real programs rely on the return value never being null.  Apparently
neither the Sun nor IBM JDKs ever return null, so in effect we would
be making this change in the name of bug compatibility.

Ordinarily I'm in favor of correctness on the part of everybody.  But
in this situation the change would leave libgcj correct, while
enabling more programs to work.  Is anybody opposed to this change?