Query about Help Needed

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Mon Apr 2 12:45:00 GMT 2001

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 11:50:02AM -0700, Per Bothner wrote:

> Most obviously we need a java.awt implementation.  (There is the
> beginnings of such an implementation, but nothing usable yet,
> it appears.)
Note that there is also a (incomplete) java.awt implementation with
gtk peers in GNU Classpath. This is the only package that is not going
to be integrated into libgcj since it is still licensed under the LGPL.
(libgcj is licensed under the GPL with a special linking exception)
libgcj now has a different (incomplete) implementation under the libgcj
license.

A while ago I spoke to Richard Stallman about this and he explained to
me that the FSF didn't want to distribute an awt implementation under the
libgcj license since Kaffe already had an GPLed version of java.awt and
he didn't want to undermine the Transvirtual business model by releasing
a GPL+linking exception version of the library.

We really have to think about how we are going to deal with this before
GCC 3.0 is released since I am a bit afraid that the FSF (read RMS) will
not be happy when it is released with a different java.awt implementation
then the one in GNU Classpath (which is also distributed by the FSF).

Has anybody else talked about this issue with RMS?

Cheers,

Mark

--
Stuff to read: