Query about Help Needed

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Mon Apr 2 12:14:00 GMT 2001

Jim> Could you please tell me what kinds of help are needed for GCJ?
Jim> For example, would it be helpful to have an FSF 100%-Java version
Jim> of Java 2 extensions?  I would like to get involved but I need
Jim> some clues about what is needed, time schedules, etc.

There are plenty of things that need work.

Before doing any work I'd advise reading:

    http://gcc.gnu.org/java/contrib.html

This spells out what we would need from you.  If you are a Sun
licensee or have read Sun Java source code, then unfortunately what
you can do on gcj is very limited.

There is a list of projects here:

    http://gcc.gnu.org/java/projects.html

Some of these projects are fairly large.  Other approaches would be to
work on specific bugs from Gnats; to write test cases for Mauve and
then fix whatever bugs are revealed; or to compile and test various
free software Java applications and then fix (or even just report)
whatever bugs that reveals.

There's no schedule for anything in gcj.  Things happen when someone
does them.