classpath question

Tom Tromey tromey@cygnus.com
Thu Sep 14 00:26:00 GMT 2000

>>>>> "Jeff" == Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@appnet.com> writes:

Jeff> Honestly I wasn't thinking that far ahead, I just want
Jeff> consistent java.class.path settings from compile to runtime
Jeff> without manual intervention.  It's needed for packages like Jacl
Jeff> that store various program scripts in the classpath, for
Jeff> example.  That should be easy to do.

We should make this the default, but have a way to override it.  SunOS
and LD_LIBRARY_PATH show that having the compile- and run-time paths
be necessarily identical is a mistake.

You can already set java.class.path at link time with -D.  Maybe we
should set the default in the compiler at link time?  Would that be
sufficient?