Problems compiling libgcj-snapshot-2000-10-29

Warren Levy warrenl@cygnus.com
Mon Oct 30 14:02:00 GMT 2000

Hmm, I have been making changes to serialization but ObjectInputStream
hasn't changed in almost a month.  Yes, normally the build would stop if
there was an error before this; if you have a copy of the build output,
please check it to see if ObjectInputStream was built.  You should see
the compilation in the output (e.g.):

gcj -B/..../build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libjava/ -C -g -classpath /..../i686-pc-linux-gnu/libjava:/..../libgcj/libjava -d /..../build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libjava java/io/ObjectInputStream.java

If you didn't save the output, please try a clean build of libgcj.  It is
helpful to know if it is getting built (or fails to build) and is later
missing vs. never being attempted.  There have been some mods to the make
and configure pieces in recent days, so that could be a possibility
(though the configure changes should have been in the 10-26 snapshot that
I take it seemed to build ok for you; and the Makefile.?? changes I made
on 10-27 only added locale files). Finally, make sure that
ObjectInputStream.java is ok; you could even try compiling it by hand to
see if it generates a class file.

If you have the space, you might try to grab the latest snapshot; it
should be virtually identical to the snapshot you have (some modules in
java.util and unrelated modules in java.io changed) but there have been
times when there've been truncated/corrupted snapshots (but I kind of
doubt that this is what you're running into though given the
circumstances).
--warrenl