gcc 3.0

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Tue Oct 17 15:56:00 GMT 2000

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 04:31:19PM -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:
> gcj and libgcj are going to be in gcc 3.0 -- the next major gcc
> release.  Sometime soon Alex is going to move the libgcj cvs tree into
> the gcc tree.  This ought to increase the robustness of the builds, as
> gcc developers will be able to ensure that their changes don't break
> libgcj builds.
Great! That will make it so much easier to get a working gcj/libgcj pair!
Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!

What is going to happen with the awt classes?
I talked to RMS a while ago (at the LSM in Bordeaux) and I asked him
about the awt issue in Classpath. When libgcj and classpath formally
announced to merge their standard class libraries the awt classes were
specifically licensed under the normal LGPL and not relicensed under
the GPL+Exception like all the other classes. He told me that
that was very deliberate (to make sure that the FSF would not
undermine the business strategy of Transvirtual that distributes
a pure GPL awt implementation). When I told him that work was going
on in the libgcj tree on awt classes under the new GPL+exception
license he didn't seem to like that very much.
Has this issue been discussed with him? I would hate it if the FSF
would not be willing to distribute these classes from libgcj.
(And I think that it is a bit strange that we now have two
implementations of some of the awt classes both assigned to the
FSF but under different licenses.)

> Lately I've been wondering if there are any things we need to have
> working for the gcc 3.0 release of libgcj.  We can't fix every bug in
> Gnats (unfortunately), but probably can fix anything that really
> stands out as being notably broken.
>
> My list includes nailing the various iconv problems (both in gcj and
> libgcj).  To me these stand out as being very annoying.  Any other
> ideas?

How much time do we have before 3.0?
It would be very nice if all of libgcj and classpath were merged,
but that is a very big task (there was a merge status web page,
but I cannot find it now). For that to be completed there really
should be a good strategy on the CNI/JNI issue. What ever happend
to the JNI on CNI wrapper library proposed by Paul Fisher?
I would love to help with that but it seems that I won't have
any real time before late december :{

Cheers,

Mark