CFP: USENIX Java Virtual Machine Symposium

Per Bothner per@bothner.com
Wed Oct 11 22:56:00 GMT 2000

It seems to me there is *something* worth writing a paper on in Gcj ...
The problem is that there is not much time before the paper
submission dead-line.

One thing I would like to see published is a description of the
"constant-time interface" algorithm, designed by me, and implemented
by Bryce McKinlay.  However, to make a good paper, we need some
numbers and experience, which we probably don't have time for.
I think this may actually be be worth an OOPSLA paper.  (Aiming
for next year's OOPSLA gives us more time, plus OOPSLA is a more
prestigious conference, plus the results are not specific to Java.)
If someone wants to do the experiments, perhaps we could write a
joint paper (with Bryce and myself)?  I repeat:  I think this is
definitely something that *should* be published.

A paper on CNI may also make sense.  My original document may make
a good start, but it needs to be updated, and possible some major
re-writing.  We need to add more about gcjh, for example.  This
also should be published, and the Usenix JVM conference seems like
a good venue.  (At the very least, we need to update the CNI paper!)
If Tom (for example).

Perhaps there are interesting areas in the library implementation
that would be relevant to this conference?

It may be worth writing something about debugging Java using Gdb.

We really should toot our own horn a little more!
--
	--Per Bothner