AWT is dead now

Paul Fisher pnfisher@redhat.com
Tue Mar 21 14:33:00 GMT 2000

Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> writes:

> > 2) implementing Java2D (it's probably more difficult than 1),
> > but it can be done later and its probably a lot of fun to do.
>
> It seems plausible to use libart (see http://www.levien.com/libart/
> and http://developer.gnome.org/arch/imaging/libart.html ).

It has been Classpath's and RHAD Labs' intention to use libart to
implement Java2D; however, there's still much work that needs to be
done on libart in order to bring it up to the level of functionality
that Java2D requires.  There's also the possibility that a server-side
2D X extension might make its way to the community in the future,
which would alleviate a lot of the problems involved.

(From what I've heard, Sun's implementation of Java2D under Windows
was a relatively simple mapping of Windows 2D primitives onto the Java
2D API.  For X, Sun had to roll their own implementation; it's quite
slow.)