AWT is dead now

Jonathan P. Olson olson@mmsi.com
Tue Mar 21 11:38:00 GMT 2000

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Brian Sullivan wrote:

>I'm not the original poster, but I'll chime in here.
>
>There are many special cases for AWT heavyweight/lightweight interactions
>in the AWT code which I'm quite sure everyone at Sun responsible for it
>would love to abandon.  All the special case code and hacks would
>disappear.
>
>Heavyweight and lightweight mixing together on the same form just doesn't
>work particularly well; replacing AWT heavyweights with lightweights would

I think that the "heavyweight" vs. "lightweight" terminology is really
misleading.  Seems like the Swing "lightweight" components are usually
heavier and slower than the native "heavyweight" components.
A better terminology would be "native" vs. "pure java" or "peer" vs. "non-peer".

--
Jon Olson, Modular Mining Systems
	   3289 E. Hemisphere Loop