AWT is dead now

ks@micky.rgv.hp.com ks@micky.rgv.hp.com
Tue Mar 21 09:57:00 GMT 2000

> I would be very very surprised if it didn't work on IBM VM or TowerJ
> (even it doesn't make a lot of sense to use TowerJ with Swing, towerJ
> being designed for server apps).

Perhaps I should more correctly say Swing is not distributed as a part
of those platforms.  If you get Swing from another source then of course
it will run since it is pure Java.

So if I write a Swing based app, and give it to someone who uses jview
they will not be able to run it unless they also have Swing, or unless
I provide Swing with my program.

My argument is that it should be possible to write simple GUIs (for
system configuration, for monitoring/management, or for interactions
with small or remote machines) without forcing 13MB (compressed!) of
Swing classes on them.

Cheers,
-kls