AWT is dead now

Bryce McKinlay bryce@albatross.co.nz
Tue Mar 21 03:08:00 GMT 2000

Nic Ferrier wrote:

> Who have you been talking to? Many people who make their living out
> of writing Java agree that Swing is bloated and badly designed. Any
> close analysis reveals this to be true, at least in part.

Bloated? Yes. Badly designed? I disagree. Yes, there is a lot of crap in

swing, but in principle I think it is a very well designed architecture.

It is highly unlikely that Swing will ever be completely reimplemented
in a free software project. Free software can achieve great things, but
only where there is sufficient desire and motive to do so. I for one do
not feel particularly motivated to attempt such an endeavor. It will be
more fun to come up with something better.

regards

  [ bryce ]