AWT is dead now

Cedric Berger cedric@wireless-networks.com
Mon Mar 20 20:59:00 GMT 2000

Nobody uses AWT widgets anymore. I've never seen a new AWT
application the last two years. In fact, Swing is widely recognized
as the better GUI toolkit availabe today (and I'm not speaking of
Java only). The main problem so far was speed, but JDK 1.3 is
much better, and having the code compiled with a tool like GCJ
will also make it much faster.

There has been a lot of discussion about AWT vs Swing design
option, and I think that most people agree that Swing has two
major advantages over AWT:
1) platform independence: you don't need to test thing on many
platform, the code is the same, the bugs are the same, ...
2) flexibility: there is not a single part of the Swing library that
I cannot replace or subclass in an application. Syntax coloring,
for example, can be done with 20-50 lines of code, by just
replacing the text RENDERER.

IMHO, the right way to develop a graphic library for Java today
is:

1) implementing the basic (low level) AWT functionalities.
Basically Window/Frame/Component/Container/Canvas and
event handling.

2) implementing Java2D (it's probably more difficult than 1),
but it can be done later and its probably a lot of fun to do.

3) implementing Swing on top of the minimal AWT (or
borrowing it from 1.1 as a temporary solution). Swing is not
a trivial piece of code, but the advantage is that since almost
all functions/members of Swing are either public or protected,
all the skeleton of the code can be written from the JavaDoc
output of swing. "only" filling the method's body is required.

4) if somebody really need it at that point, implementing
AWT widgets by calling Swing code: I believe that it is (or
was) Sun's plan too.

Cedric