Thread.interrupt()

Tom Tromey tromey@cygnus.com
Tue Mar 14 10:52:00 GMT 2000

Hans> It seems to me that there are a bunch of problems with leaving
Hans> out interruptable I/O:

I agree.  Also I don't see any text in the 1.3 online docs to indicate
that this is deprecated; depending on the bug parade seems suboptimal.

Hans> It seems to me that Thread.interrupt() should in fact be
Hans> implemented (on Posix platforms) using pthread_cancel, though it
Hans> may take some work on the pthreads side to make that fly.

I don't see how this can be done, because I don't see how you can stop
a cancellation in progress (eg, throwing an exception from a cleanup
handler is undefined behavior).  Bryce and I have been talking about
just implementing condition variables on our own for POSIX, since the
POSIX and Java models don't line up enough.  I'd love to be wrong
about this.