rpath

Tom Tromey tromey@cygnus.com
Wed Jun 28 19:30:00 GMT 2000

Alexandre> However, this argument doesn't apply as clearly for
Alexandre> libraries implicitly supplied by the compiler.  IMO, the
Alexandre> compiler should arrange for any libraries it implicitly
Alexandre> links in to be found at run-time, otherwise their inclusion
Alexandre> isn't fully transparent.

We're going to see this debate come up on the gcc list, because they
are planning to make libgcc a shared library for gcc 3.  In fact,
someone should probably start the debate there now and mention that it
is already an issue for Java.

I think the most practical solution for us will be to do whatever gcc
decides to do.  That doesn't mean we have to wait, though -- if we can
get a consensus we can trailblaze the implementation.