rpath

Jeff Sturm jsturm@sigma6.com
Sun Jun 25 07:42:00 GMT 2000

Tom Tromey wrote:
> I seem to remember that there is a reason we don't want to do this.
> Can somebody refresh my memory as to what it is?  If so I will add a
> note to the FAQ about it.

It's a tradeoff.  It is easier to install and use multiple builds of
gcj/libgcj if I compile with -rpath so I am not overriding
LD_LIBRARY_PATH each time.  But my -rpath directory is probably
meaningless to anyone else who wants to run one of my gcj-compiled
binaries.

It is also a simple matter to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH at login, or (on
Linux) edit my /etc/ld.so.conf.  It also seems likely that standard
Linux distributions will eventually install libgcj.so in a system
directory.  We probably should have a FAQ entry for this.

That said, I have no strong opinions one way or the other.

--
Jeff Sturm
jeff.sturm@appnet.com