draft paper on Java support in Gnome

Oskar Liljeblad osk@hem.passagen.se
Fri Jul 14 16:56:00 GMT 2000

On Monday, July 10, 2000 at 17:35, Per Bothner wrote:
> I wrote a little paper suggesting how Java support can be
> added to Gnome, with an emphasis on on using Gcj.

I've read your paper and it would be interesting to implement
what you have described.
I believe that the Java-Gnome project would be a good start.
They have already a complete gtk.defs parser and JNI code
generator. Little manual code (<1000 lines) is needed for the
implementation - the rest is generated from .defs files.

Gdk and Gnome are also supported. A big limitation though is
that the Java-object references are not stored in Gtk-objects.
Functions/methods that need this reference are not implemented.
Many problematic functions like gtk_container_children (returns
a GList* of widgets in a container) are also not implemented.

The .defs-file parser is well documented and I don't think it would be too
hard to make it output CNI code. This is something I'll look into in
the next couple of days.

Java-Gnome is at http://www.lirmm.fr/~gutkneco/devpt/javagnome.html .

Oskar Liljeblad (osk@hem.passagen.se)