gcj and gcc build instructions inconsistent

Per Bothner per@bothner.com
Sat Dec 30 22:04:00 GMT 2000

The Gcj build instruction
( http://sources.redhat.com/java/build-snapshot.html ) say that the
build directory should be a sub-directory of the source directory:

   $ cd egcs
   $ mkdir objdir
   $ cd objdir
   $ ../configure --enable-threads=posix ...

The Gcc build instructions ( http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html )
say the following:

  First, we *highly* recommend that GCC be built into a separate
  directory than the sources which does *not* reside within the source
  tree. This is how we generally build GCC; building where srcdir ==
  objdir should still work, but doesn't get extensive testing;
  building where objdir is a subdirectory of srcdir is unsupported.

Notice the last sentence - the recommended Gcj build procedure is
unsupported!

I suggest renaming "compile" by "gcc-src" or something similar,
and changing "objdir" to "gcc-build".  Change part 5 to:

   $ GCCSRCDIR=`cd gcc-src; pwd`
   $ mkdir gcc-build
   $ cd gcc-build
   $ ${GCCSRCDIR}/configure --enable-threads=posix ... etc

Also,  http://sources.redhat.com/java/build-snapshot.html
needs to have "egcs" replaced by "gcc" (many places).
--
	--Per Bothner