GCJ functionality and stability

Alexandre Petit-Bianco apbianco@cygnus.com
Wed Dec 27 08:40:00 GMT 2000

Scott Durrant writes:

> 1) Will using gcj allow me to use gdb to debug programs that use
> JNI?

I can't see why it wouldn't -- but I never tried.

>  I am using C++ as the JNI bridge from Java code to C code (and some
> fortran, but I can get rid of the fortran code).

Have you considered using CNI?

  http://sources.redhat.com/java/papers/cni/t1.html

> 2) I have CVS and Bison on my machine and am now ready to take a
> 'snapshot', but am unsure of what that means.  If I proceed am I
> going to screw up the gcc components that are working now (gcc, g++,
> g77)?

I guess you mean `retrieve, configure, build and install a snapshot.'
You won't screw things up as long as you're careful not to ask for
the compiler collection to be installed where your favorite gcc and
friends currently reside (I'm guessing /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin --
try `which gcc' or `which g77' to find out.) This is just a matter of
configuring the source tree with the right value for the --prefix=
option.

> 3) How is the 'latest snapshot' different from the 'latest version of the
> GCC 2.95 release branch'?

As far as Java is concerned: very different. The compiler is in a much
better shape, and the runtime is more complete. The rule of thumb is
that Gcc's Java is actively hacked on; the runtime and the compiler
are getting better everyday.

./A