help, compiler pls

Warren Levy warrenl@cygnus.com
Tue Dec 19 15:20:00 GMT 2000

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, AKA 007 wrote:

> can y'all point me towards getting some sortof 'javac' command in addition
> to the 'gcc' and 'g++' i have. i have _very_ limited system resources, so
> i'm not sure if i can get this whole environment thing.

Um, it's not clear if you built the compiler yourself or are just relying
on what's installed (or what system you're on for that matter).  Assuming
you're just relying on what's installed, see if you have 'gcj' installed;
that's the Java frontend to the compiler.  You can then use 'gcj -C' to
compile java programs to bytecode ala 'javac' and then interpret them with
the 'gij' utility (ala Sun's 'java' utility).

If you have 'gcj' you can alternatively compile directly to native code
e.g.:
	gcj -o hello --main=hello hello.java

If you need build information, check the http://sources.redhat.com/java
webpages.  There's download and build links there.

Hope this helps!
--warrenl