_Jv_MonitorEnter interface confusion?

Boehm, Hans hans_boehm@hp.com
Fri Dec 8 15:36:00 GMT 2000

I'm trying to integrate hash synchronization code into my tree:

As far as I can tell _Jv_MonitorEnter and _Jv_MonitorExit are both declared
to return an error code, but _Jv_MonitorExit in fact throws an exception in
the most likely error case.

_Jv_MonitorEnter returns the result returned by _Jv_MutexLock, which can
return a nonzero code only under Windows.

I don't think any of the callers actually test the result returned by
_Jv_MonitorEnter and _Jv_MonitorExit.

This seems wrong.  Should _Jv_MonitorEnter and _Jv_MonitorExit return void
and throw if necessary?  Am I overlooking something?

Hans