static linking

Jeff Sturm jeff.sturm@appnet.com
Wed Dec 6 16:44:00 GMT 2000

Tom Tromey wrote:
> One more idea is that we could identify the classes needed for proper
> bootstrapping and ensure that those are always linked in, for instance
> by referencing them from prims.cc.  Jeff, do you have this list?  I
> don't have time this week to look at this, but if you had the list
> handy I could make a patch.

At least the following four classes should always be present, and are
not referenced explicitly:

java.security.cert.Certificate
gnu.gcj.protocol.file.Handler
gnu.gcj.protocol.http.Handler
gnu.gcj.protocol.jar.Handler

There may be others but this is sufficient for simple programs at
least.  The file and jar handlers are needed for VMClassLoader to
initialize.  (We may be able to omit http, but it does no harm.)

Jeff