.class to shared library?

Bryce McKinlay bryce@albatross.co.nz
Mon Dec 4 18:14:00 GMT 2000

Shane Jarych wrote:

> Support I have a C program that calls a shared-library function with signature
> 'void speak(char *words)'.  speak() is a simple C function compiled as into a
> shared-library.
>
> Now suppose I write this function in a Java class, and create a shared library
> from it.

> How would the originating C program call upon the Java version of 'speak()'?

Right now, if your program has a C "main" method, you can't do that. Eventually
we want to have a CNI invocation interface, where you can initialize the java
runtime from inside your C++ program. Once we have this we'll also support JNI
invocation, which you can use if you need to do it from pure-C (not C++) code.

Right now you can, however, happily have a Java main class which calls into C++
code which, in turn, calls back into your Java code. Its just a matter of having
things like the threads environment and the GC initialized correctly before your
start making Java calls.

I suggest you search the list archives if you want more info - this has been
discussed before.

regards

 [ bryce ]