Abort when compiling current CVS tree.

Alexandre Petit-Bianco apbianco@cygnus.com
Tue Sep 21 12:33:00 GMT 1999

Glenn Chambers writes:

> Examining the compiler source, I found a call to 'abort', with no
> comment explaining why it was there.

It seems that the call to `abort' has been here forever, as `cvs
annotate' reports:

1.1          (green    06-Sep-98): void
1.1          (green    06-Sep-98): insert_block (block)
1.1          (green    06-Sep-98):      tree block;
1.1          (green    06-Sep-98): {
1.1          (green    06-Sep-98):   TREE_USED (block) = 1;
1.1          (green    06-Sep-98):   abort ();
1.1          (green    06-Sep-98):   current_binding_level->blocks
1.1          (green    06-Sep-98):     = chainon (current_binding_level->blocks, block);
1.1          (green    06-Sep-98): }

> (I presume that one or more of the recently added middle-end
> optimizations are suddenly calling this routine, which was never
> called before.)

Most likely, but I don't see anything obvious in the ChangeLogs
mentioning such a thing. I can try to reproduce the problem. Or, since
the problem occurs on your configuration, you can try to use gdb to
see what's going on by reproducing the invocation of jc1 on
`Connection.java', under the control of gdb. Can you do that for me?

Thank you,

./A