Libjava Changes for DG/ux

Takis Psarogiannakopoulos takis@XFree86.org
Wed Sep 8 13:22:00 GMT 1999

Hello again,

I need some help from somebody from the developers
that has time free to finalize a port to DG/ux.
I am not very good with automakes etc. If it was
Imakefiles it will be one thing, but this stuff
is a little distant to me.
I have included a tgz file with some changes:

Here are some issues:

(I have work with libgcj-2.95 not 2.95.1 so if some
these were bugs in 2.95 release then inform me)

1) the configure in the main dir doesn't seem to take
in account the --with-threads or --with-threads=type,
(and pass it accordingly to configure of libjava).
That is why I put (for dgux) something like

if system is dgux
 THREADS =yes
fi

in libjava/configure.in
If this has been corrected in 2.95.1 then we dont need it.

2) the main configure doesn't pick up the flags from the
config/mh-os file (eg mh-dgux386).
In any case mh-dgux386 is wrong...
We could of course pass the CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS with the usual
way as

CFLAGS =" ..." CXXFLAGS="..."  ...  ./configure

but then the DG/ux user needs to read the docs and know
that he needs special flags.
I have modify the main configure to pick up the CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS
from the config/mh-os file if they defined there.

By the way this is wrong in general in the GNU configure.
There is no reason to have the config dir with the several
mh-* OS specific files if we dont consult them.

3) we need to add the files dgux-threads.cc , dgux-threads.h
and accordingly the parts in libjava/configure.in
(I am including the modified libjava configure.in , and using
"autoconf -l ./" in libjava dir, with GNU autoconf 2.13, you could
create the configure).

4) gethostbyname_r and gethostbyaddr_r are present in DG/ux
(I am including in this tgz attachement the header netdb.h).
The functions are actually in libnsl.so
libjava/configure.in (and configure) fails to see then!
I dont know how to fix this. Please advise.

5) ctime_r , localtime_r ... etc are named in DG/ux as
__d10_ctime , __d10_localtime_r etc...
I know it is not a good naming practice but that is what we have.
I have modify the AC_CHECK_FUNCS to check also for these (in libjava/
configure.in) and also libjava/acconfig.h to something like:

#undef HAS___D10_LOCALTIME_R

#if defined(HAS___D10_LOCALTIME_R)
#define locatime_r __d10_localtime_r
#define HAS_LOCALTIME_R 1
#endif
similarly for ctime_r ... (but not gethost*_r as you can see
in netdb.h).

6) DG/ux needs , when compiling the dgux-threads.cc to have
a -D_POSIX4A_DRAFT10_SOURCE that is why I am defining that
in libjava/configure.in However , as I said in the start I am
not so good with automake to create the Makefile.in again
Please advise.

7) Makefile.in needs the addition of dgux-threads.cc
There are actually two appearences of posix-threads.cc ...
In the first I add next to it dgux-threads.cc.
For the second I dont know what to do...
Ditto as 6), automake stuff, please advise.

8) DG/ux has sched_priority in librte.a and not in libposix4.a
We need to add a section in libjava/configure.in to check
librte and add it to the libs.

9) Signals (have a look in a separate e-mail).
(but I have included the sys header sys/signal.h to get
a clear idea how sigcontext is).

Paperwork: I really have no desire to get any credit for these,
my objective is just to see 2.95.2 libjava to has DG/ux stuff.
That for me would be enough.
It much easier to modify something that has core DG/ux support than
modify a whole new libjava (2.95.2) from the start.
Please feel free to add any of these changes to the source tree.
I have included a tgz file with all changes. Any of the developers
with global write access will ba able to do that.
Still however remains the signal file issue.

Regards,
T.