FAQ update

Moray Goodwin moray@jyra.com
Thu Nov 4 01:50:00 GMT 1999

At 23:57 03/11/99 -0800, Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> wrote:
>Bradley Schatz <bradley.schatz@netali.com> writes:
>
>>                           The GCJ compiler will compile both java source
>> and bytecode .class files. For the moment support for
>>                           compiling bytecodes is the better option of
>> the two, with the source code compiler lacking support for
>>                           inner classes
>
>"Better" is incorrect.  If you need inner classes, you need to
>compile bytecodes, but if you don't compiling from sources is
>better, as described below.
>
>> ( which are used heavily in JDK 1.1).
>
>"JDK 1.1" is a competing product.  What is used *in* JDK 1.1
>is of no relevance.  What you presumably menat to write was
>something like "which are used in many programs written for JDK 1.1"

As, curently, a 'watcher-with-interest' of the progress of GCJ,
I hope that you mean't to say that Inner Classes

	"are part of the Java 1.1 Language Specification"

at least that's how I interpret the JLS published in JavaSoft's web
site ( http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/
and amended Appendix D
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/html/1.1Update.html )

The missing bits to a full 'Java 1.1' are important, so keep adding
them - some of us made the mistake of using JDK 1.1 and hence all of
the features before they were fully supported in alternative VM's and
real Browsers (IE4 & Netscape; and 2 years after JDK 1.1, Netscape
still don't provide the java.security.* package).

As a result of this lesson we are keeping our distance from Java2 !

Regards

Moray Goodwin