PostMortem: Is there a good platform for gcj?

Anthony Green green@cygnus.com
Sat May 8 15:43:00 GMT 1999

Sandro wrote:
> After several days frustrating days, I can't get libgcj to even
> compile on RedHat 5.2 or 6.0, which I had naively assumed were pretty
> common/standard systems.

Yes they are (well, 5.2 is at least).  We're building under RH 5.x and
Debian 2.x pretty regularly.

IIRC, you upgraded to RH 6.0.  Did you rebuild egcs after the upgrade?
Bryce mentioned that he had to do this after his upgrade.

In previous mail, you wrote:

> bash$ gcc --classpath=/usr/local/build/libgcj-snapshot-1999-05-03/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libjava/libgcj.zip --main=HelloWorld HelloWorld.java
> jc1: Invalid option `-fmain=HelloWorld'

You have to use gcj, not gcc.  Gcj is the program that knows about the
--main option.

I hope this helps.

AG

--
Anthony Green                                               Cygnus Solutions
                                                       Sunnyvale, California