class gc

Per Bothner bothner@cygnus.com
Fri Feb 26 19:34:00 GMT 1999

> I'm not sure how adding a flag to the class would help since I do not
> know whether a given reference actually points to a java.lang.Class object.

I don't remember the details, but the Boehm collector has a way to
register objects with the GC.  So what you do is register all the
statically allocated Classes with the GC on start-up.

Actually, I don't see any need to register a Class with the GC; what we
really need to do is register any static reference fields as global roots.

This is for statically-allocated Classes;  dynamically allocated
classes are of course allocated by the GC.

As I said, I don't know the specifics, but this is a well understood
problem.

	--Per Bothner
Cygnus Solutions     bothner@cygnus.com     http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner