Is gcc reentrant.

Manosiz Bhattacharyya mano@cse.ucsc.edu
Thu Feb 18 16:30:00 GMT 1999

Hi,
	I am iterested to build a static compiler on a subset of Java that
does not need excessive runtime features for the embedded systems
community. I want at compile time to figure out the calls to virtual
methods of classes. I am trying to develop a tool by which I can figure
out the classes that a class may need at runtime and the appropriate
methods, i.e., I do not want to link in all of a particular class which
might be redundant most of the times.
	I was trying to use a snapshot of egcs for this purpose. I wanted
to reenter jc1 on all the classes that it figured out in the last runs.
That would theoretically give me a conservative call graph that I could
work on later. However, re-entering jc1 seems to be bad as it is core
dumping on some segmentation violation. Can I call jc1 as a subroutine
multiple times. What may be the memory issues involved? I tried out some
trivial analysis and thought that all the memory was being provided for by
the obstacks. Thus if we reenter and reinitialize the obstacks, there
should not be any remnants of the last run left. However, that does not
solve the problem.
	Does anyone have a comment or suggestion on this?

Regards,
Manosiz.

Manosiz Bhattacharyya.			e:mail : mano@cse.ucsc.edu
626 Koshland Way,			School of Engineering,
Santa Cruz,				University of California,
CA-95064,USA.				Santa Cruz.
Phone: (res) (831)-420-1368		(off) (831)-459-5625