Current Status

Jon Olson olson@mmsi.com
Thu Feb 18 13:26:00 GMT 1999

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Godmar Back wrote:

>In Kaffe, we use 19 freelists (i.e., 19 sizes) at this time, so the worst
>case overhead is less than 76K on a 4K ppage architecture such as the x86
>for wastage of type 1.

I think that this ignores the fact that garbage collection can leave multiple
unfilled blocks for a given size.  A given block of objects can only be recycled
to contain blocks of a different size once ALL of the objects in that block
have been collected.  In a perverse case, you might have several 4K blocks
each having only a single 16-byte object.

--
Jon Olson, Modular Mining Systems
	   3289 E. Hemisphere Loop