Current Status

Jon Olson olson@mmsi.com
Tue Feb 16 17:44:00 GMT 1999

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Tom Tromey wrote:

>Right now gcj assumes that the runtime is using a conservative GC.  On
>the runtime side, the GC implementation is pretty well modularized,
>but it isn't really documented.  (That isn't such a big deal since
>there are only 3 or 4 entry points.)
>
>The GC stuff will probably go through some revisions later on.  For
>instance, right now the Boehm GC glue code in the runtime knows how to
>mark objects.  I'd rather have the runtime itself do this, and just
>call into the glue code to do the actual marking.  (That is, the
>current factoring is wrong.)
>
>Terry> I'm running Red Hat 5.2, is gcj included with the egcs 1.0.3 release?
>
>As far as I know gcj hasn't been in any public egcs release.
>
>Tom

A really useful addition to gcj,  with respect to GC integration, would
be to implement a configurable `write_barrier' RTL pattern inside the .md
file.  Just invoke this pattern whenever making an assignment to an object
reference.  I'm doing this myself in my own embedded port of gcj, but it
would be really nice to have this integrated into mainstream code.

--
Jon Olson, Modular Mining Systems
	   3289 E. Hemisphere Loop