Current Status

Tom Tromey tromey@cygnus.com
Tue Feb 16 15:31:00 GMT 1999

>>>>> "dan" == dan  <dan.kirkpatrick@int.com> writes:

dan> Does the bytecode compiler perform any optimizations?  Are loops
dan> unrolled, methods inlined, etc, within the bytecode?  If so, this
dan> is an excellent reason to start using GCJ, as no other bytecode
dan> compiler that I am aware of performs any optimizations.

My understanding is that we don't really do any optimization when
generating bytecodes.  I believe the compiler works by translating the
source into tree structures, and then there is a special pass which
turns the trees into bytecode.  Gcc doesn't usually do any
optimizations (or very few -- I'm not a compiler hacker) on the trees;
instead it does its optimization at the RTL level.  When generating
bytecode, we don't do the RTL generation, hence no optimization.