libgcj ,OFS1 on alpha

David Pettersson dapet@mai.liu.se
Wed Apr 14 08:14:00 GMT 1999

Hi!

I reported that libgcj does not compile on alpha with OFS1 v4.0 a little
while ago. I've tried a little to make it compile, this is how far I've
got. The contents of 'libgcj/boehm-gc/' now compiles if one adds the lines

 alpha*-*-osf4.0*)
    machdep="alpha_mach_dep.o"
    ;;

to libgcj/boehm-gc/configure.in in the case switch used to set the value
of 'machdep' (sorry I don't know about this patch thing very well)
This was suggested by Tom Tromey.

The next error was a floating point exception in gcjh while compiling in
the libjava directory. This happens when 'print_field_info' calls
'java_float_finite' with not-a-number. I found out that this can be fixed
on my system by replacing the function definition by

#ifdef __alpha__
#define java_float_finite( f ) finitef( (f) )
#else
<ordinary definition of java_float_finite>
#endif

and link in the 'libm' library. If 'finitef' does exactly the right thing
is beyond my knowledge. I think maybe the 'java_double_finite' should be
replaced to by 'finite' also ??

The last thing I found before I gave up is that

#ifdef __alpha__
#define __IEEE_BIG_ENDIAN
#endif

should be added to 'libgcj/libjava/java/lang/ieeefp.h'.

Hope someone with a alpha and better knowledge in C++ programming can
continue, since the next error occur in C++ code.

Regards
David