Tantalizing gcj Java compiler

Tom Tromey tromey@cygnus.com
Wed Sep 16 12:19:00 GMT 1998

Jon> Looks like gcj generates nice assembler code for all our Java
Jon> class files, but unfortunately I can't find any info on the meta
Jon> data formats generated by the compiler for classes, methods, etc.

By "meta data" do you mean the object and class layout, and stuff like
that?

Jon> Is there any more info (header files, texinfo docs, etc.) about
Jon> the metadata emitted by the compiler and the run-time support
Jon> required to initialize the classes?

Afraid not.  In theory, I suppose, it could be deduced by reading the
compiler code.  This isn't something I'd want to do, though.

I hate to say it, but I guess you'll have to wait for the runtime
release.  I don't believe a date has been set, but I do know we're
working on it as fast as we can.  I realize this is an unsatisfying
answer.