Standards for real-time Java extensions

Mike Woyak mwoyak@cygnus.com
Mon Dec 14 08:11:00 GMT 1998

--IBM to jump into standards fray for Java--
The next phase in the fight for control of Java will begin before Christmas,
when Sun Microsystems Inc. and IBM Corp. are expected to jointly issue an
industrywide call asking all comers for input to an emerging spec of
real-time
Java extensions, EE Times has learned. "We and IBM are going to put out a
Java
specification request and say, 'Let's get going as soon as we can,' " said
Jim
Mitchell, vice president of Java software at Sun. As to why Sun isn't linking
with a formal standards body, Mitchell explained, "They [standards
organizations] have proven to go too damn slow for the Internet world. They
will
give the game to Microsoft." The joint IBM-Sun announcement could
ultimately gut
an HP-led splinter group, which is pursuing a separate real-time Java spec.
http://www.edtn.com/shared/redirect?url=http://www.eet.com/story/OEG19981211
S0012&source_code=26

Mike Woyak - Project Manager

Direct: 408.543.9446           Cygnus Solutions
FAX:    408.543.9546       1325 Chesapeake Terrace
Email:  mwoyak@cygnus.com    Sunnyvale, CA  94089