libgcj/341

Jeff Sturm jeff.sturm@appnet.com
Thu Oct 5 07:16:00 GMT 2000

The following reply was made to PR libgcj/341; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@appnet.com>
To: Bryce McKinlay <bryce@albatross.co.nz>
Cc: aph@cygnus.com, java-gnats@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: libgcj/341
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 09:13:13 -0400

 Bryce McKinlay wrote:
 >  Ulrich Drepper claims that dladdr()'s behaviour is correct (however, it seems to
 >  contradict my interpretation of the comment in dlfcn.h)

 FWIW the new dladdr() is compatible with Solaris.  The comment in dlfcn.h
 appears out of date.

 Actually, if dladdr() does the right thing, we may no longer need addr2line on
 Linux, which is a good thing...

 >  To fix it, it appears that we need a way to tell if an address is from a shared
 >  object or not. I don't know a way to do that.

 It appears something is broken in dladdr() anyway.  The a,b,c methods should
 have global symbols, so dladdr() isn't resolving to the closest symbol, it falls
 all the way down to __frame_state_for instead.

 A glibc bug report may still be appropriate.

 What does a "nm ./st | sort" look like on RH 7?

 (As a workaround, you could compare the symbol to the address of data_start.
 Lower addresses cannot be in a shared object.)

 --
 Jeff Sturm
 jeff.sturm@commerceone.com