gcj/285: Overriding method in Interface confuses gcj

Alexandre Petit-Bianco apbianco@cygnus.com
Tue Sep 26 12:30:00 GMT 2000

The following reply was made to PR gcj/285; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alexandre Petit-Bianco <apbianco@cygnus.com>
To: Bryce McKinlay <bryce@albatross.co.nz>
Cc: java-gnats@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: gcj/285: Overriding method in Interface confuses gcj
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 12:21:36 -0700 (PDT)

 Bryce McKinlay writes:

 >  Possibly the test for "!max" should actually read "max", but that
 >  causes the PR234 test to fail.

 We shouldn't be using max at all. We don't have a most specific
 method, max could have any value, including 0. I believe your patch is
 correct.

 > Alex: why does the call to valid_method_invocation_conversion_p from
 > find_most_specific_methods_list return false for the PR234 test
 > case?

 Well, we have:

         A ... I

 We have two candidates: B.m() and I.m() and we go by the method
 invocation conversion rules (5.3, especially 5.1.4 in our case because
 we have references.) B can't be converted to I because B doesn't
 implement I. I can't be converted to B because B isn't Object.

 By the way, I don't see 234 failing with your patch applied.

 ./A