gcj/225: gcj incorrectly checks access on protected inner interfaces

Bryce McKinlay bryce@albatross.co.nz
Sun May 7 22:50:00 GMT 2000

The following reply was made to PR gcj/225; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bryce McKinlay <bryce@albatross.co.nz>
To: mdejong@cygnus.com
Cc: java-gnats@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: gcj/225: gcj incorrectly checks access on protected inner interfaces
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 17:50:30 +1200

 mdejong@cygnus.com wrote:

 > I don't think the following code is legal. The
 > ProtectedInnerInterface class is in the global
 > package and it has a protected member Inter
 > that should not be accessible.

 I agree, the same problem applies to a "protected static" inner class, which javac (1.3) fails but gcj and jikes accept.

 However, cases like this, where gcj compiles technically illegal code, should perhaps be assigned a lower priority than bugs where gcj fails to compile legal code.

 regards

   [ bryce ]