libgcj/60

Kevin_Hendricks khendricks@admin.ivey.uwo.ca
Fri Oct 8 06:00:00 GMT 1999

The following reply was made to PR libgcj/60; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kevin_Hendricks <khendricks@admin.ivey.uwo.ca>
To: khendricks@ivey.uwo.ca, tromey@cygnus.com
Cc: apbianco@cygnus.com, green@cygnus.com, tromey@cygnus.com,
    java-gnats@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: libgcj/60
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 08:49:10 -0400 (EDT)

 Hi Tom,

 >Kevin> So the problem has something to do with how the gcj library is
 >Kevin> being linked into the final executable.  Possibly LD_BIND_NOW
 >Kevin> might help.  I will check this.
 >
 >Did you ever find out?

 No, it doesn't help. I tried changing RTLD_LAZY to RTLD_NOW in the dynamic
 library loading code in boehm-gc. I also tried exporting LD_BIND_NOW=true and
 that did not help.

 I then upgraded to glibc 2.1.2 from glibc 2.1.1 and that didn't help.

 The only way I can get things to work is to use -static with gcj and then
 everything seems to work fine.  So whatever the gc is doing works well when
 statically linked into the executable but dies when the gc code is loaded from a
 shared library (or other shared libraries are loaded?).

 >I haven't looked at this bug at all yet.  I won't be able to for a
 >little while yet, either.
 >
 >It's possible that this is a GC bug that is fixed in the current
 >version of the GC.  It might be worthwhile trying the new GC, or at
 >least reading the change log to see if the Linux PPC port has been
 >changed.

 Where would I find the new GC code?  Would snapshots have it?  Is there a public
 source tree?

 Thanks,

 Kevin

 --
 Kevin B. Hendricks
 Associate Professor of Operations and Information Technology