More C type errors by default for GCC 14

Sam James sam@gentoo.org
Tue May 9 16:11:21 GMT 2023

Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> writes:

> On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 05:16:19PM +0200, Richard Biener via Gcc wrote:
>>

>> > Am 09.05.2023 um 14:16 schrieb Florian Weimer via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>:
>> >
>> > TL;DR: This message is about turning implicit-int,
>> > implicit-function-declaration, and possibly int-conversion into errors
>> > for GCC 14.
>>
>> I suppose the goal is to not need to rely on altering CFLAGS but change the default behavior with still being able to undo this using -Wno-error= or -Wno-?
>
> Can't people just compile C89/K&R code with -std=c89/-std=gnu89 and not get
> these errors that way?

This is what we've been doing for hopeless projects and it's probably my
preference, but I'm fine with Florian's -fpermissive suggestion too.

(The point about inline semantics is important but you can handle that
with other flags anyway.)

best,
sam