Missed warning (-Wuse-after-free)

Alejandro Colomar alx.manpages@gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 11:22:53 GMT 2023

Hi Siddhesh,

On 2/17/23 04:48, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On 2023-02-16 10:15, David Malcolm via Gcc wrote:
>> I'm not convinced that it's useful to the end-user to warn about the
>> "use of q itself" case.
>
> FWIW, -Wuse-after-free=3 already should do this:

Thanks!  It works.  I would have expected such a warning to be included
in -Wextra.  Does it have any false positives (or maybe too many false
negatives?) that make it unsuitable for -Wextra?

> At level 3, the warning also diagnoses uses of indeterminate pointers in
> equality expressions.  All uses of indeterminate pointers are undefined
> but equality tests sometimes appear after
> calls to "realloc" as an attempt to determine whether the call resulted
> in relocating the object to a different address.  They are diagnosed at
> a separate level to aid legacy code gradually
> transition to safe alternatives.  For example, the equality test in the
> function below is diagnosed at this level:
>
> Jakub and I had discussed this in the context of _FORTIFY_SOURCE=3
> (which is anal about this and can break things) and we got pr#105217,
> but that is also a best-effort thing, not really a guarantee.
>
> IMO the analyzer should go that extra mile and warn for the use of q
> itself and maybe deprecate -Wuse-after-free=3 in its favour.
>
> Sid

Cheers,

Alex

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
GPG key fingerprint: A9348594CE31283A826FBDD8D57633D441E25BB5