GCC-13 Branch with RISC-V Performance-Related Backports

Jeff Law jeffreyalaw@gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 19:00:21 GMT 2023

On 4/17/23 12:50, Palmer Dabbelt wrote:
> Based on some discussions, it looks like a handful of vendors are
> planning on maintaining GCC-13 branches that include various
> performance-related backports (ie, patches not suitable for the standard
> GCC-13 release branch).
>
> I don't think we'd actually agreed to a set of branch rules, but it
> seems like the following were where the discussion ended up:
>
> * Make a "riscv" vendor branch.  I don't think we came up with a name,
>   but "riscv/gcc-13-perf" seems fine to me.
> * Regularly rebase the branch on the GCC-13 release branch.
> * Only accept backports that have landed on trunk.
>
> There's a few others that I'd like to add, just based on poking around:
>
> * No new regressions for anything that's backported.
> * Use "git cherry-pick -x" from the trunk commit.
Works for me.

> We're starting to land some gcc-14 patches already, so I'd prefer to
> make the branch sooner rather than later.  Unless there's any
> objections, I'll push what's at
> github.com/palmer-dabbelt/gcc/gcc-13-perf as a vendor branch.
Sounds good to me.

FWIW, the few bits I've pushed to-date didn't seem important enough to
me to warrant porting to this branch.  But if someone thinks otherwise,
I won't object to them being cherry-picked.

jeff