Porting the Docs to Sphinx - project status

Martin Liška mliska@suse.cz
Mon Jan 31 14:06:35 GMT 2022

Hello.

It's about 5 months since the last project status update:
https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/2021-August/577108.html
Now it's pretty clear that it won't be merged before GCC 12.1 gets released.

So where we are? I contacted documentation maintainers (Gerald, Sandra and Joseph) at the
end of the year in a private email, where I pinged the patches. My take away is that both
Gerald and Joseph are fine with the porting, while Sandra has some concerns. Based on her
feedback, I was able to improve the PDF generated output significantly and I'm pleased by the
provided feedback. That led to the following 2 Sphinx pulls requests that need to be merged
before we can migrate the documentation: [1], [2].

Since the last time I also made one more round of proofreading and the layout was improved
(mainly for PDF part). Current version of the documentation can be seen here:
https://splichal.eu/scripts/sphinx/

I would like to finish the transition once GCC 12.1 gets released in May/June this year.
There are still some minor regressions, but overall the Sphinx-based documentation should
be a significant improvement over what we've got right now.

Please take this email as urgent call for a feedback!

Thank you,
Martin

[1] https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/pull/10087
[2] https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/pull/10001