Remove RMS from the GCC Steering Committee

Soul Studios matt@soulstudios.co.nz
Mon Mar 29 21:41:45 GMT 2021

On 30/03/2021 1:18 am, Richard Kenner wrote:
>> I think I will leave this discussion up to those who have more
>> familiarity with the guy than I do. There's no doubt that some of the
>> stuff Stallman has written creeps me the hell out, and I think it was
>> more the tone of the OP I objected to.
>
> I mostly want to stay out of this and will leave much of this discussion to
> others (though I have met RMS personally on a number of occaisions), but I
> want to mostly say that I agree with Jeff that it's important that this
> discussion stay civil.
>
> I believe that to a large extent, the discussion here is reflective of a
> much larger discussion in society of to what extent, if at all, an entity
> associated with an person must or should take action based on things that
> that person does while not associated with that entity.

It's worth noting that when RMS was kicked from FSF, there was a
2k-strong petition in favour, and a 3.5k-strong petition against. So
clearly there is a discussion to be had, but as long as the left-wing
(through self-rightiousness and threats of exclusion/withdrawal) and the
right-wing (through belligerance and abuse/hostility) are trying
actively to shut down discussion, that will not take place.