Remove RMS from the GCC Steering Committee

David Malcolm dmalcolm@redhat.com
Fri Mar 26 21:34:31 GMT 2021

On Fri, 2021-03-26 at 20:51 +0000, Jonathan Wakely via Gcc wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2021, 20:03 Nathan Sidwell, <nathan@acm.org> wrote:
>

> > Dear members of the GCC Steering Committee (SC),  I ask you to
> > remove
> > Richard
> > Stallman (RMS) from the SC, or, should you chose not to do so, make
> > clear
> > statement as to why he remains.
> >

> I second Nathan's request, and agree with everything he said.

To any observers seeing this email unfamiliar with the project, I
wanted to note that Jonathan is currently one of the most prolific
contributors to GCC, showing up as #2 on this list for commit count to
GCC over the last year, with 590 commits:
  https://www.openhub.net/p/gcc/contributors?query=&time_span=&sort=twelve_month_commits
[1]

I too second Nathan's request, and agree with what he said.

(Nathan shows up as #7 on that list, and Marek who has also replied
whilst I've been writing this shows up as #9; I'm #11 on that list).

> It's important for GCC today, and for potential future contributors.

Agreed.

I own an autographed copy of RMS's book from when I used to look up to
him, but, frankly, I think the cause of Free Software would have been
helped greatly by him taking retirement from the FSF/GNU at least a
decade ago.

I should note that I'm writing this in a personal capacity, not on
behalf of Red Hat, though FWIW Red Hat has said the following on the
matter of RMS's return to the FSF board:
https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/red-hat-statement-about-richard-stallmans-return-free-software-foundation-board

Now to get back to fixing bugs...
Dave

[1] actually the 12 month period ending 2 months ago, since that was
the last time the project was rescanned by openhub