[RFC] avoid type conversion through versioning loop

guojiufu guojiufu@linux.ibm.com
Fri Mar 26 08:19:38 GMT 2021

On 2021-03-25 16:35, Richard Biener wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Yes, "rldicl %r3,%r3,0,32" is sinkable and avoids this zext,
>> which also improve performance.
>>
>> :) my test code is a little differentent:  argument n's type is long
>> (sorry).
>> unsigned __attribute__ ((noinline)) foo (double *a, long n)
>> {
>>   unsigned i = 0;
>>   while (a[i] > 1e-3 && i < n)
>>     i++;
>>   return i;
>> }
>
> You can't elide the zero-extend here since n can be bigger
> than MAX_UINT and thus i has to wrap.
>
>>   111: L111:
>>   39: pc={(%7:CC>=0)?simple_return:pc}
>>   102: %3:SI=%3:SI+0x1
>>   103: %9:DI=%3:DI<<0x3&0x7fffffff8
>>   104: %3:DI=zero_extend(%3:SI)
>>   105: %7:CC=cmp(%3:DI,%4:DI)
>>   106: %0:DF=[%10:DI+%9:DI]
>>   107: %0:CCFP=cmp(%0:DF,%12:DF)
>>   109: pc={(%0:CCFP>0)?L111:pc}
>>
>> .L14:
>>         bgelr 7
>>         addi 3,3,1
>>         rldic 9,3,3,29
>>         rldicl 3,3,0,32
>>         cmpd 7,3,4
>>         lfdx 0,10,9
>> 	fcmpu 0,0,12
>>         bgt 0,.L14
>>
>> -------------- or for code:
>> unsigned __attribute__ ((noinline)) foo (double *a, unsigned n,
>> unsigned i)
>> {
>>   while (a[i] > 1e-3 && i != n) ///if using "&& i < n" the zext is
>> sinkable
>>     i++;
>>   return i;
>> }
>
> With i != n we cannot compute the number of iterations because i can
> wrap, thus we cannot elide the zero-extension.
>
>>    99: L99:
>>    69: {pc={(ctr:DI==0x1)?L39:pc};ctr:DI=ctr:DI-0x1;clobber
>> scratch;clobber scratch;}
>>    36: L36:
>>    23: %5:SI=%5:SI+0x1
>>    25: %9:DI=%5:DI<<0x3&0x7fffffff8
>>    24: %5:DI=zero_extend(%5:SI)
>>    29: %0:DF=[%3:DI+%9:DI]
>>    30: %0:CCFP=cmp(%0:DF,%12:DF)
>>    31: pc={(%0:CCFP>0)?L99:pc}
>>

>> .L12:
>>         bdz .L2
>> .L5:
>>         addi 5,5,1
>>         rldic 9,5,3,29
>>         rldicl 5,5,0,32
>>         lfdx 0,3,9
>>         fcmpu 0,0,12
>>         bgt 0,.L12
>> .L2:
>>
>> Any suggestions about how to relax the 'zext' in above cases? My
>> previous idea
>> was versioning :).
>
> I don't think there's another good way.  Not sure if I'd call it
> versioning, I suppose for these kind of possibly wrapping IVs it
> would be iteration space splitting?  So maybe it could be integrated
> into the loop split pass somehow?  Let's look at
>
> unsigned foo (double *a, unsigned n, unsigned i)

And then, we can continue transform to:
   while (a[i] > 1e-3 && i > n && i <= UINT_MAX)
     i++;
   while (a[i] > 1e-3 && i < n)
     i++;
===>
   if (i > n)
     while (a[i] > 1e-3 && i <= UINT_MAX)
       i++;
   while (a[i] > 1e-3 && i < n)
     i++;
===> (transform to below, may similar with sinking zext out of loops)
   long il = i; long nl = n;
   if (il > nl)
     {
      while (a[il] > 1e-3 && il <= UINT_MAX)
        il++;
      il = il > UINT_MAX ? 0 : il; // il = zext (il#0)
     }
   while (a[il] > 1e-3 && il < nl)
     il++;
   i = il;