IEEE Interchange floating point and extended floating point for C++

Joseph Myers joseph@codesourcery.com
Fri Mar 12 18:14:04 GMT 2021

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021, Joseph Myers wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2021, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 at 12:26, Sjoerd Meijer via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> > > So here's finally my concrete question: what do we think about making _Float16 available in C++ mode?
> >
> > I think GCC should do it.
>
> What about types with the same format as an existing type (but which are
> nevertheless distinct types in C), such as _Float64 (typically same format
> as double) or _Float32 (typically same format as float, but not promoted
> when passed in variable arguments)?

And also the _Float32x, _Float64x types (we don't have any targets
supporting _Float128x).  (On all systems supporting those types in GCC,
_Float32x has the same format as double and _Float64, and _Float64x has
the same format as either long double or _Float128, but again they are
different types.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com