git gcc-commit-mklog doesn't extract PR number to ChangeLog

Jonathan Wakely jwakely@redhat.com
Fri Jun 11 09:35:54 GMT 2021

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 at 10:08, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 at 18:06, Martin Sebor <msebor@gmail.com> wrote:
> > By "the subject line" are you referring to what the ChangeLog calls
> > $git_description, and, AFAICS, consists of multiple lines?  (Based
> > on the Example patch on the conventions page.  In that example,
> > the PR87763 reference is in the middle of line 3.)
>

> No, I mean the first line of the $git_description, which would also be

Sorry, the end of that sentence got lost on my clipboard.

The first line of the $git_description would also be the Subject of
your email, if you follow established Git best practices (e.g. in the
kernel, GitHub and elsewhere). For further reading:

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Customizing-Git-Git-Configuration#_commit_template
https://chris.beams.io/posts/git-commit/
https://reflectoring.io/meaningful-commit-messages/#formatting

This one suggests a lot more structure, which is partially in conflict
with GCC's own guidelines, but it agrees that the commit msg should
start with a single-line description:
https://www.conventionalcommits.org/en/v1.0.0/

If you're not already doing a brief "subject" line in your git
commits, you're Doing It Wrong!

This is why I want the docs to go into more detail on the content of
the $git_description part of the git commit msg, because then reusing
that subject as your email Subject: is a no-brainer. So if you're
confused whether I mean the (first line of the) $git_description or
the email Subject: you should ask yourself why you think there is any
distinction between the two :-)

And for the avoidance of doubt ...

> > Again, I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "the changelog" here.
> > Are you referring to the whole commit message or just to what
> > the conventions refer to as the ChangeLog entry?
>
> The latter.

When I say changelog, I mean the changelog, and when I say commit
message, I mean the whole git commit message. I don't say "changelog"
to mean the whole git commit message. I'm using the terminology of the
codingconventions.html page:
"ChangeLog entries are part of git commit messages and are
automatically put into a corresponding ChangeLog file."

Using "changelog" to mean the whole commit message would be confusing
and/or ambiguous.