git gcc-commit-mklog doesn't extract PR number to ChangeLog

Jonathan Wakely jwakely@redhat.com
Fri Jun 11 09:13:37 GMT 2021

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 at 22:16, Martin Sebor wrote:
> I don't see why the script users should be subjected to this tedium
> when it can be done in the script itself with (presumably) only
> a little more effort.  The proposed change is, IMO, a step in
> the wrong direction.

I don't see why "improve the mklog.py script to automatically follow
the policy" is in conflict with "enforce the policy".

If the script can be improved to do the right thing automatically when
you commit (it's not clear if it can be improved that way, but let's
say it can) then what's the problem with enforcing it when you push
the commit to the server? What are you being "subjected to"? If it's
automated, what is "this tedium"? You've already followed the policy,
why do you care if there are checks to make sure that everybody
follows the policy, including the people not using the script and
writing the entire commit msg by hand?

I'm not saying we are going to enforce every part of the policy
(because the policy isn't even clear right now), but if we wanted to
do it later, I don't understand your objection.