GCC documentation: porting to Sphinx

Martin Sebor msebor@gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 15:10:04 GMT 2021

On 6/3/21 4:56 AM, Martin Liška wrote:
> On 6/2/21 10:41 PM, Martin Sebor wrote:
>> On 5/31/21 7:25 AM, Martin Liška wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I've made quite some progress with the porting of the documentation and
>>> I would like to present it to the community now:
>>> https://splichal.eu/scripts/sphinx/
>>

> Hello.
>
> Thank you for the review.
>
>> Just a few issues I noticed in the warnings section:
>>
>> The headings of some warnings mention the same option twice (e.g.,
>> -Wabi, -Wabi, -Wno-abi;  -Wdouble-promotion, -Wdouble-promotion,
>> -Wno-double-promotion;  -Winit-self, -Winit-self, -Wno-init-self).
>> This looks like a pretty pervasive problem.
>
> You are right, I fixed that.

Looks good.

>> Mentioning the -Wno-xxx option is redundant in a heading for -Wxxx.
>
> Yes. Good reason for that is that Sphinx can then generated properly links
> to the current non-documented version of the option. Hope it's improvement
> over the current situation?

I think the linking is helpful.  But for warnings, the documented
convention is to only mention the one that's not the default:

   This manual lists only one of the two forms, whichever is not
   the default.

so including both blurs this (IMO rather subtle) distinction.
In addition, in options whose description says something like
"This warning is enabled by -Wall." it's now less clear which
one is the one the "this" refers to (see for example
-Wchar-subscripts).

If the heading can't be changed at a minimum we'll need to update
the convention above, e.g., by saying that the first option mentions
is the default. But again, I think this is too subtle for the casual
reader to pick up on.  The fact that the sentence quoted above appears
under -Wfatal-errors doesn't help.  We should also work on updating
the "This option is in -Wall." either to name the specific option
it refers to, or consider moving that into a Note box like the one
listing the languages the option applies to.)

>> The headings of some other warnings also mention options that are
>> only remotely related to them.  E.g., -Wformat has all these:
>>
>>    -Wformat, -Wno-format, -ffreestanding, -fno-builtin, -Wformat=
>>
>> (I see the same problem in the attributes section where the headings
>> for some attributes include option names).
>>
>> That seems quite puzzling.  I assume it's a consequence of having
>> index entries for the related options, but I don't think making
>> them visible in the headings is helfpful.
>
> Oh, you are right. It was consequence of wrong parsing of index entries.
> It should be fixed now.

Looks good.

>> Headings that in the manual today include a level like
>>
>>    -Wformat-overflow
>>    -Wformat-overflow=level
>>
>> don't mention the level in the Spinx manual:
>>
>>    -Wformat-overflow, -Wno-format-overflow
>>
>> When the /level/ is then discussed in the rest of the text it's
>> not clear what it refers to.
>
> Should be also fixed now.

Also looks good.

> Can you please take a look at the current output and give me a feedback?

I noticed another minor issue that may already have been pointed
out by someone else.  Under -Wall (and -Wextra), some option names
are prefixed by :option: (e.g., (only with :option:-O2``).  Looks
like some sort of a transcription bug?

And a couple of questions:

References to options with an argument like -Warray-bounds=1 are
rendered in a way that makes it look like there's a space before
the equals: -Warray-bounds =1, with  the =1 being in a different
color and not part of the hyperlink. Is there a way to make it look
like there is no space?

I like how options are automatically linked, and I'd like to see
the same for other references like to attributes.  Can that be
automated as part of the migration or should we/I try to tackle
it in a followup?

In any event, thanks for working so hard on making this turn out
great!

Martin

> Thanks,
> Martin
>

>> Martin
>>

>>> Note the documentation is automatically ([1]) generated from texinfo
>>> with a GitHub workflow ([2]).
>>> It's built on the devel/sphinx GCC branch which I periodically with
>>> the master branch. One can
>>> see the current source .rst files here: [3].
>>>
>>> Changes made since the last time:
>>> - a shared content is factored out ([4])
>>> - conditional build is fully supported (even for shared parts)
>>> - manual pages look reasonable well
>>> - folders are created for files which have >= 5 TOC tree entries
>>> - various formatting issues were resolved
>>> - baseconf.py reads BASE-VER, DEV-PHASE, .. files
>>>
>>> I've got couple of questions:
>>>
>>> 1) Do we have to you the following cover text?
>>>         Copyright (c) 1988-2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>>
>>>         Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this
>>> document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License,
>>> Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software
>>> Foundation; with the Invariant Sections being "GNU General Public
>>>         License" and "Funding Free Software", the Front-Cover texts
>>> being (a) (see below), and with the Back-Cover Texts being (b) (see
>>> below).  A copy of the license is included in the gfdl(7) man page.
>>>
>>>         (a) The FSF's Front-Cover Text is:
>>>
>>>              A GNU Manual
>>>
>>>         (b) The FSF's Back-Cover Text is:
>>>
>>>              You have freedom to copy and modify this GNU Manual,
>>> like GNU
>>>              software.  Copies published by the Free Software
>>> Foundation raise
>>>              funds for GNU development.
>>>
>>> 2) Do we want to generate fsf-funding, gpl and gfdl manual pages?
>>> 3) Do we want to preserve the current strange copy mechanism for
>>> ./gcc/doc/tm.texi.in ?
>>> 4) Do we want a copyright header for the created .rst files?
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>> Thanks,