Update to GCC copyright assignment policy

Giacomo Tesio giacomo@tesio.it
Thu Jun 3 14:45:47 GMT 2021

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 16:14:15 +0200 Jakub Jelinek wrote:

> Because it makes no sense

A change in the copyright policies and ownership of a project is usually
seen as a very big change, so much that usually the project change its
whole name, not just its major version.

> doing a GCC release is lots of work and GCC has a
> roughly yearly release cadence for a reason.

Actually an year of delay on such policy change would be very welcome.

I would have really appreciated if the GCC SC had announced such change
for the upcoming GCC 12 while sticking to the old policy in GCC 11.

> You can always cherry-pick any changes assigned to FSF from trunk to
> 11.1 on your own

Sure, I can.

But most users usually download tarballs.

Having the first non-FSF-copyrighted version in a new version would be
very appreciated by many organizations around the world that prefer
to have as few legal dependencies as possible.

That's why it's a major change for people downstream!

Giacomo